So I’m a big fan of the quinoa bowl at freshii, but I’m not a big fan of paying 12 dollars for it. This quinoa bowl had a lot of ingredients but it was gooood, the ingredients worked really well together, and if you’re not into making everything from scratch that’s cool too!
If you wanted to skip on the meat you could absolutely add more vegetables or substitute with tofu.
- 1 cup quinoa (cook according to directions and set aside)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 2 zucchini
- 3 chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (we make our own but any will do!)
- 1 can chick peas
- Olive oil
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped veggies (we used red peppers and tomato)
- Add chilli flakes to cooked quinoa and set aside
- Quarter zucchini and dust with salt to remove some moisture – I try to wait at least 20 minutes before using them but the longer the better! Pat with a cloth to remove moisture and then toss with olive oil and salt and pepper
- Heat up your BBQ and grill chicken breasts until fully cooked, I go about 7 minutes per side
- While your chicken cooks rinse a can of chickpeas and place it into the blender, add garlic and 1/2 cup of olive oil and blend. Continue blending and adding small bits of water until your desired texture, season with salt and set aside.
- After you’ve flipped your chicken once put zucchini quarters on the grill and rotate them every 3 minutes , keep a close watch on your heat!
- Remove everything from the BBQ
- Chop up chicken and toss in BBQ sauce of your choosing and set aside
- Plate your quinoa, fresh veggies, grilled zucchini and chicken in the bowl finishing with a healthy spoonful of hummus.
It’s so good!