Alright, so this isn’t a quick dish but it isn’t terribly difficult either and the results are SO GOOD.
Planning to wow your special someone with a delicious dinner, or having people over for a meal? This glazed chicken and veggie bowl is so good they won’t believe you made it. (Seriously…you’ll have some convincing to do!) For the veggies, I like to use freshly frozen when I want to make everything just a bit easier, it will save you a step of steaming/cooking a separate bowl of veggies.
If you are a vegetarian you can easily swap out the chicken for tofu and give it the same treatment, just be sure to get as much water out of the tofu as possible before you fry!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (for dredging)
- 1 cup edamame (beans from pods)
- 1 cup mixed vegetables (frozen is fine, of you can chop up some carrot, peppers etc.)
- 1 cup broccoli
- rice noodles
- olive oil and red pepper flakes if desired
- For the sauce, add onion and garlic to a sauce pan on your stove and let sweat a bit, just until they’re soft. Once soft, pour in the soy and teriyaki and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling add honey and reduce to a simmer. Continue reducing while re prepare the other parts of the meal.
- For the chicken, cut three breasts into smaller pieces. While you are chopping, place a deep skillet or deep pan on the stove (i use a deep cast iron skillet) and pour in about 1/2 inch to an inch of oil (for frying).
- Once oil is hot (I always test with a small piece of chicken, does it start to fry immediately when I place it in? Then it’s ready!) place each piece of chicken in bowl with corn starch and cover, once covered place in oil to fry. Let each piece fry, turning when needed.
- Once done, remove from oil and place on a cookie sheet, continue until all pieces are fried. Discard of oil and place chicken back in pan, use 1/2 cup of sauce and let coat and cook with chicken until thick.
- While chicken is simmering in sauce cook rice noodles in boiling water. Once down, drain water and drizzle with olive oil and red chill flakes (for spice!)
- Heat up mixed veggies, broccoli and edamame
- In large serving bowl pour 1/4 soy sauce mixture in bottom of bowl, then add rice noodles, veggies, broccoli and edamame. Place finished chicken on top and pour remaining sauce over everything. Mix together and enjoy!