So, i’m all about potatoes. Mashed, baked, TWICE baked, scalloped whatever.
Potatoes = good.
So when 12 Days of Breakfast was created, OBVIOUSLY, I had to include a potato recipe in the series. These potato latkes are pretty delicious and they make a PERFECT breakfast. I like to serve mine with a fried egg on top but you could easily serve them as a side to your standard eggs and bacon meal, and easily impress on Christmas morning.
- 2 cups shredded potato
- 1 egg
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 3 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil to fry (I use vegetable)
- Grate potatoes using a cheese grater, then place in a cheese of washcloth and wring out as much water as possible.*
NOTE* if you have extra time you can spread them out on a cool cookie sheet and have them sit out to dry a bit more. Do not try to cook them in the oven a bit to get out the excess water…you will have to start all over again!
- Add potatoes, onion, egg and flour into a mixing bowl and mix together. Season generously with salt and pepper
- Add spoonfuls into frying pan and flatten with a spatial and allow to fry (about 2 minutes each side or until golden brown)*
NOTE* Be careful when you flip them! Use a spatula and a fork to flip slowly so you don’t splash oil all over the place like an asshole.
- Serve with a perfectly fried egg on top and EAT!
Want more breakfast ideas? Check out the 12 Days of Breakfast Series here.