Ummmm this may not be the MOST Christmas-y sounding dish but, it’s so hearty and the spicy tomato sauce promises to warm you up in no time! This is a great breakfast for an extra cold Christmas morning, but be warned if you’re not into spicy you may want to skip this one…
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 jar tomato sauce (I used Classico but you could make your own – try this recipe for a quick tomato sauce!)
- 4 eggs
- 1 loaf fresh crust bread
- Add olive oil to a frying pan and place over heat. Once the pan is warm add in onions, garlic, jalapeños and chilli flakes. Cook until tender (5 min!)
- Add tomato sauce and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat slightly and add eggs.
- *NOTE: I used the back of a big serving spoon to make a small dent in the sauce to cradle the eggs to keep it more concentrated.
- Cover with tinfoil and cook for 4 minutes, until egg whites are cooked through. I like to cook my eggs over medium for this. Most people leave the yolk runny but I find you miss out on texture that way.
- Once cooked to your liking finish with salt and pepper and serve the sauce and the eggs with torn pieces of fresh bread.