Who doesn’t love Shepherd’s Pie on a cool winter night? This recipe is the bomb, plus you won’t use ALL of the beer for the meat so you get to sip away at it while you cook!
If you’re not into the cauliflower I say…grow a pair and try something new. But if you’re not into that either you can just used mashed potatoes. The secret to this dish is to cook the meat SLOW.
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup beer (something with a bit more flavour – I used Alexander Keith’s Amber Ale)
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 can sweet corn
- Put some olive oil in a hot pan and start to cook your beef. Add onion and garlic and cook down.
- Once cooked add 2 tbsp of tomato paste and stir together.
- Add beer and let simmer for 3-5 minutes, add peas
- Add beef stock and simmer on low for 20 minutes
- In a pot on the stove, add cauliflower and cover with water and bring to a boil
- cook until tender adding salt and pepper as it boils
- Once boiled drain all water and put back on the stove to cook some more and remove some moisture.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- In a large casserole dish layer beef mixture on the bottom, then corn and top with cauliflower
- Cook in the oven for 40 minutes at 350 and serve.