So when I was thinking about the 12 Days of Breakfast I knew I wanted to do a take on the croque madame which has a bechamel sauce, but I also LOVE eggs Florentine and OMG. BEST BREAKFAST EVER.
Seriously I’m not sure we need 10 more days… These little vegetarian breakfast hand pies were really delicious, and not at all as heavy as you would think. Served with a perfect poached egg on top and you have a Christmas morning showstopper.
- 2 tbsp butter/margarine
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (quartered)
- 4 tbsp feta cheese
- Pillsbury reduced fat crescent roll dough
- Melted butter
- salt and pepper to taste
INSTRUCTIONS: Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a sauce pot, place 2 tbsp of butter and let melt, add the flour to create a roux. Slowly add your skim milk and whisk until smooth. Your sauce will thicken quickly, so keep stirring so it doesn’t turn.
- Add onions and spinach stirring it all together and put aside.
- Take your Pillsbury dough and separate out into four squares. (Pinch the seam for the triangles together to make one solid square.)
- Add 2 tbps of spinach mixture and smooth out, add tomatoes and feta and bring each corner into the centre and twist together. Repeat for the other three pies, place on a baking sheet and place in oven for 12 minutes. (I added mine back in for an extra three but my oven isn’t super hot – until the crust is golden brown)
- In a pot on the stove poach eggs (IT’S EASY! Just follow my steps to perfect poached eggs here)
- Serve the hand pie with the poached egg on top, seasoned with a bit of pepper and sit back and watch the magic happen!
This recipe makes 4 hand pies, so if you’re making more just double!
Are you going to give this a try? If so let me know what you think in the comments below!