This chicken recipe is my go to for when I need filling for chimichangas or burritos, some good chicken to toss into a southwest salad or just to put on the plate when it’s been a long busy week. It’s also a great thing to make a bunch of and put it in the fridge to top salads, sandwiches and fill wraps for on the go meals.
The bonus with this dish is that it’s really health conscious because lean chicken with the skin off is a great source of protein that’s low in fat and salsa adds a punch of flavour with ZERO fat! Because this chicken is baked in liquid it’s super juicy and really good…pretty much fool proof guys.
- Skinless Chicken (can be bone in or out, breasts, thighs, legs whatever you want)
- Salsa (I like to use extra spicy but use whichever you prefer!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place chicken in dish with a lid, pour 1-2 cups of salsa over top and spread around with a spoon.
- Cover and place in oven.
- Depending on amount of chicken* (if using bone in cook for 30 minutes, check if it’s cooked if not place it back in the over uncovered for 5 minutes.)
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes and then use two forks to pull the chicken apart in the remaining salsa and toss together.
*Don’t be an idiot and eat under cooked chicken, and don’t burn it either! If you’re cooking more chicken the cooking time will be higher, if you’re doing a little bit it will be less. A tip is to cut the chicken and see if the juice is clear, if it is you’re good to go if it’s not clear you need some more time.