Pasta is my kryponite. Seriously, it’s so comforting and so good and it can be as easy or as complex as you want.
The recipe I have for traditional homemade meat sauce is to die for but it takes a solid 5 hours to get it just right. (I’ll post that one soon I promise!) so today when we got home from our annual Montreal trip and I saw all of the veggies we had to use I thought…NOW IS THE TIME.
This sauce turned out amazing and was super quick, I added in lean ground chicken because we had it but you could make this full on veggie if you wanted to.
- lean ground chicken (optional)
- 4-5 large vine ripe tomatos
- 1 1/2 onion diced
- 3 bell peppers (I used green, red and yellow), diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 can tomato paste
- 3 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste*
**A note on seasoning – ACTUALLY SEASON TO TASTE. Don’t be an asshole and sprinkle a bit of salt on it and dish it all out and be like…ugh needs salt. You’re the cook it’s your job to season your shit so it’s perfect so actually use a healthy amount and taste as you go to make sure your meal is amazing.
- Heat a healthy drizzle of olive oil up in a large pan and begin to brown and cook your ground chicken (if you’re going veggie just skip this step!) Once the meat is cooked add in your diced onions, garlic, and oregano and let the onions cook down a bit.
- Next do a quick chop on your tomatoes, they don’t have to be perfect and add them in to the pan followed by the peppers, let it all cook string regularly for about 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato paste, worcestershire and sugar and stir into the sauce. Reduce on heat and let simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes (you can let this simmer covered for as long as you want – the longer you leave it the better the flavour will get but…that doesn’t mean you have to wait forever.) Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Serve over spaghetti with a bit of parmesan and DIG IN.