OKAY. So with the move to the new house the boy and I are doing our best to find simple, cost effective good meals to make together. Last night was our first attempts and we made Mom’s Cabbage Casserole, which I feel like is super old school, but it’s super good (and good for you!)
We stayed lean on the meat, added only a bit of rice and loaded up on the cabbage (the cheapest part of it all). We also made it a bit spicy because we like it hot.
– 1 chopped onion
– 1/4 C brown rice
– 2 cups hot salsa
– 1 1/2 cups of water
– salt & pepper
– 3 cups roughly chopped cabbage (we used more to fill a large dish)
- Brown meat in pan, once meat is partially cooked, add raw rice, onion green pepper and continue to cook 3-5 minutes
- Add salt & pepper – stir often
- Once fully cooked, add salsa and water, stir to mix and heat through only
- Place raw cabbage in bottom and up sides of casserole dish
- pour meat/rice mixture over cabbage – DO NOT MIX
- COVER and bake at 350, 45 minutes, remove lid and let cook another 5-10 minutes to brown and thicken if needed
*I forgot to take a picture which I realize is half the fun but I mean come on…use some imagination guys.